|The Residence of Wolter Kolff at Nijmegen
After they got married in 1641 Wolter
Kolff and his wife Maria van Heteren moved into a house
at the Korte Nieuwstraat at Nijmegen. This house belonged
to the estate of the former Broederenklooster which was taken
care of by the bailiff of the spiritual goods of the 'tweede
rentambt'. It seems that Wolter Kolff ended this rent after
his mother died in December 1949 to move into the house 'De
Drie Colven' at the Steenstraat.
This house is often confused with the house across the street, known as the
'Besiendershuis', which owes its name to the 'besiender'
who would have lived here. The besiender was some sort of
superintendant of the river Waal, who had to collect the tolls
from passing ships. In reality it appears that a besiender
never lived in this double residence. The panorama of the
river Waal from this house only became a fact after two buildings
at the Waal quayside were destroyed, end 1944 or beginning
The house survived the long and at times tough history of
Nijmegen without any serious damage. In 1942 the house underwent
an extensive restoration. It is now a Rijksmonument (State
Monument, see also at the links below).
An article about this house and the Kolff Family was published in De Gelderlander on September 22, 2010; read this article.
More information on this house at Monumentenregister
Very much to our surprise, not to mention delight, a replica of the house De Drie Colven can now be seen in the Dutch miniature town of Madurodam. This happened during a visit of over 50 family members to this miniature town in The Hague. More information on this can be found at the Welcome Page. You can also open a pop-up here to see images of the house and some related pictures.