The House 'Nimmerdor', the creation and the changes
'Nimmerdor' is one of the creations of Everhard Meyster, an Amersfoort
citizen known as eccentric, who lived from approx. 1617- 1679. The
up to this day famous Amersfoort Rock (Amersfoortse Kei), was taken
by him to the city. Meyster could not - being a Roman Catholic -
have a public function. He used his wealth and his money amongst
other things on the cultivation of the moors around Amersfoort and
to erect estates as iddyllic spots, of which 'Nimmerdor' was the
most important one. He recieved many guests here, very often from
artistic circles. One of his guests has been Constantijn Huygens
in 1669, who praised this visit in his diary.
all his creations 'Nimmerdor' is the only example of the ever green
'hof' (court, park), designed and created with ever green bushes
and trees such as firs and spruces, holly, ivy, and savin. The park
was finished in 1655. After Meysters' death in 1679 his widow Agatha
Schaap sold the possessions in parts to several buyers as we can
see from title-deeds. At a public auction 'Nimmerdor' is sold in
September 1682 to Dirk van Ommeren, former mayor of Amersfoort.
Around 1715 Van Ommeren sold the estate to Cornelis Wijborgh, mayor
of Amersfoort. Thirty years later the heirlooms Wijborgh sold 'Nimmerdor'
to Laurentius Grothe. At this time the estate consists of several
houses such as a gardeners cottages, a farm, and barns.
The Amsterdam Courant wrote in 1746 about an extension of 'Nimmerdor'
of 54 'morgen' (one 'morgen' = approx. 2 acres), consisting of ponds,
hollows, canals, oaks and beeches! In 1788 the estate is rented
out to the lady Maria Soet, the 'separated housewife' of Mr. A.C.
Josephe. From 1846 the estate is owned by Mrs. A. Pompe van Meerdervoort,
widow of F.J. Pigaud (LL.M.), bailiff at Amersfoort. Later the estate
is owned by her daughter Johanna Antonia Pigaud. From about 1881
to 1915 the estate is the property of Margaretha Laurentina de Beaufort,
spouse of H.J.H. baron van Boetzelaer van Oosterhout. The municipality
of Amersfoort tries to buy the estate in 1911, which has - luckily
- been rejected by the States of Utrecht. In that year my Grandfather
Gualtherus Kolff, married to Helene
Mathilde Voss, hires the estate. In 1915 he bought it.